Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Nigeria

Jonathan opens up as FG searches for U.S. ‘bank accounts’

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan has declared that he has no account or property abroad.

Jonathan made the clarification in a statement by his spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze.

The reaction followed moves by the Buhari administration to subpoena bank records of Jonathan and his wife, Patience.

“Our attention has been drawn to international media reports to the effect that the Federal Government of Nigeria has subpoenaed bank records for former President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Dame Patience Jonathan in the United States of America,” Eze said.

“We aver that the Federal Government of Nigeria did not contact Dr. Jonathan or his wife before issuing these subpoenas. If they had, we would have advised them of the fact that you cannot subpoena what does not exist,” he added.

The statement reminded the public that on March 5, 2014, during the swearing in of new ministers, Jonathan said “I am loyal to Nigeria’s economy. I don’t have accounts or property abroad.”

It insisted that between that time and the present, nothing has changed about the former Nigerian leader.

Aside Jonathan and Patience, the Nigerian government is also searching for bank records of Diezani Alison-Madueke and Rilwanu Lukman.

Both were, at different times, former Minister of Petroleum Resources in Africa’s biggest country.

Bloomberg reports that financial institutions that have been contacted include Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase and New York branches of Deutsche Bank AG and United Bank for Africa Plc.

Nigeria wants “all documents concerning any transactions to, from, or for the benefit” of the Jonathans from 2009 till date.

Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, was quoted as saying that information retrieved will assist investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to know individuals in the Process & Industrial Developments Ltd (P&ID) gas deal.

In court filings, Malami stated that there is good reason to believe that former ministers were involved in a corrupt scheme to steal money from Nigeria.

However, P&ID says Malami’s application is “nothing but an absurdly overbroad fishing expedition”.

The company insisted that the AGF is claiming fraud and bribery to avoid paying the judgement debt that amounts to about 30% of Nigeria’s foreign reserves.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com